Friday, March 14, 2008

CFC>KFC

Yes, it's true. The fried chicken has gone international. Now not only do hillbillies way back in the wood of the Appalachian Mountains fry their birds is fattening oil, but now the Cubans do too. Not only that, they do it BETTER! I went in to get my oil changed, they were overworked, and I was informed that it would take them about 2 hours, so I went for a walk in Little Havana. I found a nice little Cuban restaurant, ordered in Spanish, got my chicken, and then the mechanic who was supposed to be working on my car came in and had lunch at the table right next to mine. I smiled and waved, he waved back. Yatta, yatta...A plus side of me catching him not working on my car was that he didn't charge me for the brake inspection, which was nice.

Today, I was at work, and the keepers were weighing the birds, and the girl taking them off their perches couldn't reach one of the cockatoos, so I tried to help her. The bird was NOT interested in stepping off his perch. I tried to pick him up with my right hand, he grabbed my finger with his beak, and very carefully pushed it away. I tried to pick him up with my left hand, and he very gently grabbed it with his beak, pushed it away, and we repeated this for about 10 seconds. (bear in mind that he can bite thru wood, nuts, and without much effort, my finger, so he was being very careful) When I stopped and looked at him, he made a little chuckling sound and bent his head down to be scratched. We repeated this dance about 4 times, him chuckling his feathery little pink ass off each time I stopped. I'd scratch his head, and he'd ruffle his feathers and make little squeaky sounds, and then we'd try again. Finally, I managed to get him down, the keepers got him weighed, and then they put him back up in his perch. Freakin' birds.

No comments: