Saturday, March 8, 2008

Gone Fishin'

Well, there was an Outing planned for yestereve, and fishing was the goal. We gathered upon the Southern Beach, and after a brief debacle with #$%^ING valets (I mean HONESTLY, can't I park my own gol-darn car, thank you very much, and on top of that, they take your money and force you to leave your keys so they can peruse the contents of your car at their leisure. HA! Jokes on them, my car contains mostly junk, some funky-smelling fishy clothes, as well as some quarts of oil. Nothing valued over about $3.17, not even the $5 bill on the visor, that's counterfeit.)

HOWEVER, that's not the point. I hate valets is the point. And there it's such a chore to avoid them. They suck you into their little dead-end calde sacs (note here. I can't spell in English, so why should French be any different?) and force you to leave your keys with them or wait 45 minutes to get out of their lair, and when you're supposed to be on a boat in 15 minutes so you can go fishing, this is a problem.

So! After capitulating to the dubious necessity of valet parking, I took myself to the docks, found my co-workers, and we immediately started to wait. The wind had picked up, and the waves were about 5-7 feet in height. We decided to go fishing anyway. We piled onto the boat with the crew and a couple other brave (read foolhardy) souls, and went out to enjoy 4 hours of night fishing.

After about 2.5 hours of fishing, not catching anything, and being rocked across 6 foot high swells, I was feeling less that premium, and one of my compatriots had already decided it was time to chum the fish (unfortunately, that hadn't improved our luck) and the crew were good-naturedly taking bets on which of us would be the next to vomit copiously overboard (the odds were 1-3 for the skinny blond girl, 1-5 for the redhead, 1-25 for me, and 1-98345 for the large black man, the asian girl having already been eliminated as the first to puke). I managed to make it through the entire evening without catching a fish or spewing my dinner into the bay, so I'd consider the trip only mostly unsuccessful.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I agree. Valets suck. Especially when they hijack large sections of otherwise perfect street parking for their "pickup" zone. Bastards.

Anyway, I'm proud of you. For not puking, that is. Way to keep your lunch! I'm not proud of you for the lack of fish, though; you should really aim for X(fish) > 0 next time.

It's "cul de sac," by the way.