Saturday, February 16, 2008

On leadership

As a registered Independent, I'm in a rare position of being able to complain about both Republicans and Democrats. In an election year when the Democrats were essentially handed an invitation to the White House, they have fielded a pair of candidates that have continually failed to impress me. If either of them wins, it becomes a historic event: the first woman/black president, however, America, being what it is, is going to naturally turn its eyes to the white, male, stereotypical image of "president", and the Republicans know that this is a likely scenario. The Democratic candidates are spending so much time attacking each other "inexperience" and "special interests", that when the time comes to show a united front in the general election, they're going to be absurdly hypocritical in supporting whichever candidate does win the primary. The candidate that has impressed me the most at this point in the election has been John McCain (an this is not because I'm watching Die Hard, and his name bears a striking resemblance to John McClane). He's managed to show that he's willing to work across party lines, however he doesn't have the view on the war that I support. Unfortunately, neither do the Democratic candidates. None of them are willing to take a stance to remove American troops and bring them home, which is what I want to see. Anyway, I've yet to decide who I will be voting for, or if it will even make a difference in my home state, but fortunately, I still have 9 months to decide. Whoever wins, January 20th, 2009 will be a wonderful day when I no longer have to listen to the leader of my country say "new que ler". Just for entertainment, if you haven't seen it, enjoy this piece of political humor for the evening. It came around a few years ago, but it still makes me snicker.

No comments: