Wednesday, February 20, 2008

This week

Well, I'm enjoying things at work a fair amount. I fill up air tanks pretty frequently, and I'm getting to know the guys at the dive shop a bit, and they're nice fellows. I'm learning how to do the reef presentation, and one or two more times doing it with a supervisor and I'll get to do it on my own soon. It's really cool going down in there. There are some BIG fish. Groupers about 6 feet long weighing about 300lbs, 2 moray eels about 6 or 7 feet long, and a bunch of other smaller fish, probably 300 or more in all. There are some pretty angel fish, a cownose stingray, and a bunch of grunts. The groupers occasionally "boom" when they want to show agressivness. The sound inside the aquarium is like a wrecking ball smacking into the wall, and you can feel the shockwave at the base of your skull. I still get to do the shark shows, but now the interns are learning to do them, so I have to watch them and let them know what parts of their show to work on. I vacuumed the manatee pool today with Romeo, the largest manatee in the park. He weighs about 3000 lbs, and he's very friendly. He came by to check out what I was doing about every 3 minutes or so, and although he's about half the size of the orca, he's not nearly as sneaky. Hopefully I'll be able to start training the baby nurse shark, Bosco, soon. He's about 18 inches long and kinda cute...for a fish. Sang some Backstreet Boys song with some of the other guys from work at a Karokee contest at a sports bar the other night. Some girl from the audience gave me her sunglasses, and one of the girls that I work with came in 2nd place. She should have won, but her cheering section was sitting closer to the stage than we were, so they sounded louder. Anyway, that's what has been going on here.

No comments: